Condition Report For Lot# 773 :
the canvas is on a newer stretcher and has been lined and there is some scattered inpaint. The "Opawa" was the first of three sister ships to be built for the company by Stephen's of Glasgow, being registered with Lloyd's in November 1876; the others were Piako and Wanganui. These three were the last sailing ships to be built specially for the company. She was an iron sailing ship of 1131 gross tons and her dimensions were 215 feet by 34 feet by 20 feet. "Opawa" had the reputation of being a good pacemaker and out of a total of more than 20 voyages to New Zealand she accomplished seven of them in less than 90 days. Her best voyage was in 1880 when she reached Lyttelton in 81 days with 197 passengers aboard. In 1897 the "Opawa" was sold to Norway and renamed "Aquila". Reference taken from www.immigrantships.net. More information can be found in Alan Bott's definitive book, "Sailing Ships of the New Zealand Shipping Company 1873-1900". Height 23", Width 35" (sight)