Condition Report For Lot# 75 :
CASE: Period case, fits well, but we cannot guarantee its originality; Minor scratches on outer surface of case; Marks on inside and edge of glazed cuvette from case knife; Back cover with repair to hinge, center section of hinge with split; Crystals loose; Bow replaced, too large, poorly shaped; Precious metal content marked. DIAL: Edge chips at 4:00, 8:30, 10:00; Scratches minor to dial; Dial replaced, made for this watch, possibly to replace a damaged original. HANDS: Very good. MOVEMENT PLATES: Minor scratches and marks; Scratches on regulator and jewel settings; Plates a bit dull; Minor spotting on crown wheel bridge; Balance stud screw missing, regulator with minor bend at point where the stud is secured; Specks of dirt / dust. MOVEMENT FUNCTION: Running order (winds, sets and ticks). The 14 karat rose gold case that houses this movement does not bear the mark of Fasoldts usual case maker, Edward Humbert, and is not the usual 18 karat gold, but cannot be rejected as incorrect based on this information alone. The casemakers mark, "H.E.D." may be that of casemaker Henry E. Droz, who worked at 92 Fulton St., a few blocks from Humberts Cordtlandt St. office in lower Manhattan. The Troy and Albany steamships docked at the head of both Fulton and Cortlandt streets, and so it is not unreasonable to believe that Fasoldt may have known both makers. The watch is the penultimate number in Fasoldts production, (#539 of an estimated 540, see M.C. Harrold, "Isochronal Chronometers Manufactured by Charles Fasoldt, 7/7/2000), and sold during the time when he was involved in the manufacture of his microscopes and micrometric rulings. A further possibility exists, as Otto Fasoldt [Charles' som] was active as a watchmaker in Albany by 1875. If his father had turned over the remaining watches to his son for sale, or had finishing and casing work performed by Otto while pursuing other interests, this could explain both the case and the dial. It is a mystery which warrants further study and research. This watch was made for Stephen D. Gutchess, son of James Gutchess (1838-1923) and Deborah Jane (Brooks) Gutchess (1840-1901). Stephen was born in Sep., 1861 in Michigan. By 1870 the family had moved to Mentz, Cayuga County, NY. He attended school at Port Byron, NY and became a teacher of business. By 1889 he was in partnership with John R. Carnell as Carnell & Gutchess, operating the Albany Business College at Albany, NY. In 1896 Gutchess sold out to Carnell and formed the Gutchess Metropolitan Business College at Detroit, MI where he and his wife, Sarah Adelaide (Armstrong) Gutchess, were Principal and Assistant Principal. By 1910 they and their only child Ralph D. (b. 1889) were living at Bridgeport, CT. In 1911 S. D. Gutchess purchased Brown's Business College, in Bridgeport, Conn., which was established in 1896 and had an annual enrollment of about 500 students. He changed its name to Gutchess College. It and the Detroit college were still operating in 1920.